Old July 3rd, 2004, 05:58 AM
Mark

Default To Tip or Not Tip at an AI

Some people may not like hearing this, but I definitely don't have any
sympathy for any of the local Mexicans in resorts such as Cancun.
Often theft is common in the rooms and management takes a blind eye
unlike in Cuba or the Dominican Republic. If the employees are
extraordinary in some way service wise, I tip; however, that is not
usually the case. This "unsafe" feeling in Mexico is one reason why
no longer go to Mexico.

"Blondee_yvr" wrote in message
: I was at another site that asked this question. I was surprised of
: those that replied (10 posts), most tipped at an AI.
: Some of the reasons given we
:
: 1. I tipped from the heart
: 2. Mexican workers at the resort work very hard and get paid very
: little
: 3. The maid made swans out of towels in my room
: 4. Employees don't get any tips from management even though the
hotel
: has it included in the price
:
: I was also surprised to read that one poster was very very generous
in
: his tipping. He tipped about $15/day. This is even more than what
is
: recommended to tip on a cruiseship like Royal Caribbean and
Princess.
:
: I also read how one guest asked an employee what's the best way of
: rewarding an employee for doing a good job and the employee
responded
: by saying "tell the manager".
:
: I am just curious to hear the comments on the subject as people
still
: tend to tip at an AI.