Old January 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

Default Moving to Australia

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message
oups.com...
What type of work are you involved in would perhaps help as to where best
top go to get a job easier.
John H

Guys,

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I am hoping to gain a skilled visa
based on my background running IT projects. Most of my experience has
been in financial services but over the years I have also worked in
travel & construction (always in IT).

There are about twice as many banks headquartered in Sydney compared to
Melbourne. Of the 6 biggest banks, four are Sydney based (Westpac,
Commonwealth, St George, Macquarie). Most Asian banks run their Australian
operations through Sydney. Its also home to the ASX and most of the
regulators.

If you are an IT Project Manager, you will find more opportunities in
Sydney.

This is a bit of a long-range plan as we have a middle child who still
has a couple of years schooling to run (just about to turn 16) so we
won't be wanting to move until 2009 at the earliest.

It would be helpful to know what the job market is like in Sydney,
Melbourne, Adelaide though...

I know the IT industry very well, and know all capital cities in Australia
at least reasonably well from this perspective.

What size of projects do you PM? Are you looking for contract work or a job?
Any special technical knowledge or skills you want to leverage?