Old March 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
mikeos

Default USATODAY: Munich has best public transportation

On 04/03/2010 22:32, Hatunen wrote:
On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 14:10:59 -0800 (PST), baroque-quest
wrote:

I've had locals in some cities be genuinely shocked when I've asked how
to buy a ticket. Yes, as in /pay for/ travel. The Italian bus driver and
Bucharest receptionist could barely grasp the concept, and a woman in
Toronto clearly thought I was completely mad.

People in Italy and Romania might expect to ride without paying, but
Canadians tend to be very law-abiding. Some cities check tickets/
passes on a regular basis, e.g. Prague and Budapest. Some cities
border on anarchy, e.g. Paris, where people often just jump over/under
the turnstiles.

I have seen ticket checkers on Helsinki buses, trams and the
Metro. I have also seen some pretty rugged looking young men
checking tickets on the Berlin U-Bahn.

In Nice, they come on busses mob-handed, two at the front door and two
at the back.