Old November 13th, 2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Janet Wilder

Default An American's Impressions

kangaroo16 wrote:
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 17:37:29 -0600, Janet Wilder
wrote in
:

In Australia we visited Ularu and did the Sounds of Silence dinner which
was a wonderful experience. I snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef, too.

Assume that you found it interesting.:-) One of our greatest
tourist attractions.

We saw it at sunset and at sunrise. Watched it changing color with the
angle of the sun. More than just interesting.

I did taste some of the local brews and found them to be
very nice. The wines of both countries were fabulous, but that goes
without saying.

Yep, we export a lot of it. Probably a lot more expensive there
than here.

We get a lot of it here and it's very reasonably priced.

For the ultimate tourist food, were you offered, and did you
try a "wichetty grub". Bores into trees, can be fished out with
a twig or a bit of wire. Sort of like a large hairless
caterpillar.

We were told about them, but not offered any. I would have most
definitely declined to taste them. I draw the line at bugs. Ugh!

The library is very pretty. The
"Beehive" in my opinion, was quite ugly.

I like your honesty! You don't worry about possibly offending
readers!

Not too many Kiwis are enamored of it either. From what we learned, it
was conceived by a bunch of politicos having drinks over a matchbook cover.

We looked at all the stuff that tourists are supposed to purchase but
I'm not fond of opals so there wasn't much in Oz to tempt me.

Not even the black opals? AFIK, only found in Australia. Solid
ones can be more valuable, weight by weight, than diamonds.

Most of what I saw did not appeal to me. What did appeal to me was too
expensive.

The possums in N.Z. aren't really native, AFIK, probably came
from Australia.

They did. It seems that all of the "pests" in NZ were introduced by
settlers.

Far south Texas on the Rio Grande, perhaps? Ever met "Cath" who

Met her via this board. I don't think she lives near us. Texas is quite
large. I live 4 miles from the Rio Grande. We are about 20 miles
up-river from the Gulf of Mexico.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation