Old November 30th, 2007, 03:06 AM posted to alt.atheism, alt.anarchism, rec.travel.air, soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
Wexford

Default I've never seen a bible in any hotel room in Europe

On Nov 29, 7:54 am, les_on_usenet
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:25:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On 29 nov, 10:44, Sound of Trumpet
wrote:
http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/...html#879123036...

The Church in Europe

No, that's not an oxymoron. This article from the July 14, 2007 Wall
Street Journal tells us that after decades of decline, Christianity
seems to be making a modest comeback:

Strangely enough, in all the hotels I've visited in Europe, not once
have I found a bible.
And this include Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, Budapest, Amsterdam,
Berlin, Moscow, Graz, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Prag, Brussels, The
Hague... and Stockholm... and several small villages in very catholic
Austria...

Yes they are starting to get rare. I have stayed in most of these
places too and many more especially in the UK of course. These
days I cruise and you never find them on cruise ships nor generally
any hint of religion. On one cruise though the Captain must have been
a Christians as he played a recording of cathedral bells loudly on the
ships loudspeaker briefly every Sunday before announcing he would be
conducting services. They were relayed on the ships CCTV system.
I found this annoying as we were a captive audience for his religious
intrusion into our lives. I was not the only person annoyed either.

A clear sign that Europe is civilized and that Americans who project
their own insecurities should shut up instead of making a fool of
themselves by inventing things.

I have stayed twice in the USA and on both occasions I found
Gideons. There were also cards advertising prostitutes and
take away food establishments (New York). I bought a
self-service ready meal from a next door Deli and got the trots
badly next day. I now know the location of every single toilet in
the Met museum as I 'started' just after I got there.

Never got that in Europe or in Tangier.

Never had a problem in New York, but my whole family (who are fully
grown people) ha it hapen San Francisco. By the way, thefood may have
been poor, but how were the whores?