Old January 8th, 2008, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Hiking and backpacking information about Alaska?

On Jan 7, 11:45*pm, Just Another Traveler
wrote:
I'm interested in hiking and backpacking info about the Denali
National Park
and the surrounding areas. *Most of us are strong hikers and
experienced backpackers.
If you have any information to share, places not to miss, books to
recommend, I'd really appreciate.
We'll be backpacking/camping most of the trip.

It's been twelve years since I did an overnight backcountry camp in
Denali park, but at least I can point out some things you need to
check further.

In 1995, backcountry camping was a bargain as the permit included your
ride on the camper bus. Currently, the backcountry permits are free,
but it appears that you need to pay a pretty steep fare for the camper
bus (but I expect still significantly cheaper than the sightseeing
buses).

The backcountry camping regulations specified a maximum number of
people in an area. I think it may have been one tent/two people. They
also required you to not follow any trails. I did my best to comply,
which meant trudging through marshy areas and through gullies with
alder thickets. You're also supposed to camp out of sight of the road;
fortunately the terrain is lumpy enough to allow this--I did not make
it nearly as far as I'd planned to, due to the lack of easy trails.
(But I did see paths; whether they were animal trails or backcountry
camper trails I can't be certain.) It's not clear on the current
website
http://www.denali.national-park.com/camping.htm#back
what the time limits on a backcountry stay are; I think it was up to
six days in 1995 (in any case, I only did an overnighter). Note the
ban on campfires.

I was there in mid-August. To ensure my desired area and to get a seat
on the bus, I got to the park office very early--7 AM or so. It turned
out not to be a huge deal, so you're probably okay (unless things have
changed).

There was a small store just outside Denali park with a good range of
expensive supplies.

How far around the "surrounding areas" are you planning to travel, and
how are you travelling? You may be limited in how long a backcountry
permit will last you in Denali, and how often you can get one--best to
inquire.