Old August 26th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Richard

"Rubber Ducky" wrote in message

I'm thinking i'll fly to munich, then train to moscow, then fly to delhi,
fly to bejing, fly to hong kong, fly to bangkok, fly to melbourne, fly to
auckland, fly to suva, fly to lima, train to brazil fly to SA, fly to

egypt
and then fly back to the UK.

Look into 'round-the-world airfares and their terms and conditions.

Suppliment with flights on low-cost airlines like RyanAir, EasyJet and the
likes.

Explore the possibilties of traveling into/out of alternate cities (London
instead of B'ham, etc).

Learn to use websites like http://www.xe.com/ to alleviate clueless in the
event that someone quotes you a price in a currency other than GBP. Outside
of Europe not many people know how much a pound is worth.

Go to a bookstore or library and read some travel guides, they'll give you
an idea of how expensive various cities/countries are. They'll also give you
an idea on available forms of travel - hint, I'd be very surprised to learn
that there's a passenger train running between Peru and Brazil.

I'm estimating about a 2 year round-trip, working as and when I need/want
to.

Head down to London and seek out some Australians. There are tons of them
out there doing the whole round-the-world thing. Keep in mind that if you
want to work along the way, you'll either be working under the table for
next to nothing, or you'll need a visa.

Can anyone give me a rough budget and also point me in the right direction
as to where there are savings to be made?

The budget entirely depends on how extravagantly you spend your money.

In order to save:

Stay longer in fewer places.
Stay in youth hostels or rent an apartment, avoid hotels.
Don't go out drinking and clubbing.
Don't buy tacky souvenirs.
Do extensive research on your travel arrangements. Talk to several travel
agencies.

Richard