Old September 13th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Daniel Bowen

Default Buying/using pre-paid SIM cards

"Hallvard Tangeraas" wrote in message
But I don't understand how this can be cheaper when you also have to pay
partly for the person who calls.

I assume the same applies for someone sending me an SMS message.

Generally (at least for Australian subscribers) you do not pay any extra to
get an SMS delivered, no matter where you are.

Sounds expensive.
Sending SMS messages domestically in Norway is very expensive compared
to most countries I've heard. We pay NOK 1.00 for each message here
(around EUR 0.12) while other European countries supposedly pay only a
fraction of that.

Australian telcos typically charge between 20 and 25 Australian cents per
message.

Anyone else know if it works? I assume as long as someone is providing
SMS services they work all over the world as long as you've entered the
international dialing code correctly. I hear you should add a "+" in
front of the country code, then the phone number, which should ensure it
working in every country, such as calling a mobile phone in Norway with
the number "12345678" you enter the following in the phone's
phone-book: +4712345678
....and can call him/her wherever in the world you are.

From my Telstra (postpaid) phone, it works to my friends in the UK,
including when they are roaming elsewhere in Europe and the US.

But you really need to check, either with the phone companies concerned (to
ask if they have reciprocal SMS delivery arrangements) or by trying it.
Theoretically it should work any phone to any phone, but this is not always
the case.

Also realize, that, at least in the 'outback' areas of Oz, you will
have *no* coverage, so mobile phones will not work at all.

I understand. So in case of emergencies you're stuck as long as you
don't come across someone else who can help.

Yes. In some areas there is no GSM coverage. In areas where there is GSM
coverage, but not from the company you have a SIM card or roaming through,
you can still dial 112 to get an emergency operator.

I believe the most practical thing for me would be to buy an Australian
pre-paid SIM card and have people send me messages or call me using the
Australian mobile phone number. That way I don't have to pay for
incoming calls/messages and they can reach me at any time (unless I'm in
remote areas or have the phone turned off).

I think you're correct. If you want to make your friends pay (!) then this
is the way to do it. With the proviso that you should check if the SMS works
before relying on it.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia