Old November 25th, 2003, 06:56 AM
Kris

Default Overland from HK to Hanoi

Sure it is possible. The fastest way would be I guess, from HK to
Guangzhou and then an overnight train to Nanning. From Nanning to the
Vietnamese border. HK-Guangzhou takes an hour on the fast train.
Getting tickets to Nanning in Guangzhou might be a problem; you might
have to wait a few days. The trip will take at least 24 hours (maybe
someone else knows exactly??). From Nanning to the Vietnamese border
isn't too far. Border to Hanoi would be another long trip I guess,
although I've never done it myself.

So timewise you had better fly. Experience-wise, it would be
interesting of course. Even the very fast trip through China would be
fascinating.

All depends how much time you have.

Kris

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:33:32 -0800, Doug Pearl
wrote:

Is it possible to travel by train from Hong Kong to Hanoi? If so, any
idea how long this trip takes? Don't really want to have to stop in
China so I might fly from HK to Hanoi. I'm doing a multi-country trip
and don't want to have to deal with another currency and another visa.

So far I'm going to Japan, Hong Kong, Hanoi... then on to Europe

Thanks,
Doug