Old November 27th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Brian Wickham

Default driving across the USA - provisional itinerary

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:48:28 -0000, "rob tyler"
wrote:

We have now put together a rough outline of the itinerary for our drive
across the USA from New York to San Francisco via New Orleans and Santa Fe.
This is my first trip to the USA.

We have had many useful suggestions from the newsgroup and our route and
places to stay are rough guides as to the final journey. We would love to
hear of any recommended towns along the route that would offer more
interesting stopping places; and any other suggestions or comments. We are a
bit wary now as to the weather conditions in the South West in particular.

And the important question is: What should we not miss? Which features along
the route or involving a reasonable detour would you recommend we include.

13th December, Saturday Fly to New York JFK drive to Philadelphia PA 106
miles

Consider NY to Front Royal VA if you have the time. From there take
the Sky Line Drive through the Blue Ridge, but if it's closed due to
weather you can drive through the Shenandoah Valley and on to Roanoke.
Either way it's a pretty drive.

All of I-95 from NY to FL is deadly boring. Unless you must go to
Philadelphia I would take I-78 to Harrisburg, PA and then I-81 to
Virginia.

14th December, Sunday past Washington to Roanake VA 378 miles

15th December, Monday to Knoxville TA 260 miles

16th December, Tuesday Chattanooga TA 112 miles

17th December, Wednesday Tuscaloosa AL 204 miles

You can make up time in this Roanoke to New Orleans leg if need be.

18th December, Thursday New Orlreans LS 291 miles

19th December, , Friday New Orleans LS 0 miles

Maximize your time in New Orleans

Minimize your time in Texas

20th December, Saturday Beaumont TX 261 miles

21th December, Sunday Austin TX 248 miles

22th December, Monday Sheffield TX 317 miles

Once out of Texas be mindful of where you need to cross mountain
ranges. This is not the best time of year for that sort of thing.
Stay on top of the weather reports!

23rd December, Tuesday Carslbad, NM 210 miles

Christmas Eve, Wednesday Santa Fe NM 267 miles

Christmas Day, Thursday Santa Fe NM 0 miles

26th December, , Friday Gallup NM 198 miles

27th December, Saturday Flagstaff AZ 185 miles

28th December, Sunday Flagstaff & Grand Canyon 77 miles

Be at Grand Canyon when it opens in the a.m.

29th December, Monday Las Vegas NV 275 miles

Unless you have a particular reason for stopping in Bakersfield you
might consider traveling through to Fresno or Merced. That would give
you time to see a National Park the next morning before driving into
San Francisco.

30th December, Tuesday Bakersfield CA 286 miles

New Years Eve, Wednesday San Francisco CA 288 miles

New Years Day, Thursday San Francisco CA 0 miles

2nd January, Friday explore the Californian coast

3rd January, Saturday day off

4th January, Sunday San Francisco: Fly back to London

Approximately 4000 miles for the trip

At least you have a plan. I'm sure you will find that you need to be
flexible and it seems to be that you have padding in there to allow
for it.

If you need to do hard driving to make up time then 600 miles per long
day is easily done on Interstate highways. It isn't fun but it could
put you back on schedule.

Brian Wickham