Old January 16th, 2005, 03:02 AM
koneko

Default Japan (Tokyo/Kyoto)

I will be in Tokyo and Kyoto in early April. I only have a limited
time, and since this is part of a tour package, part of the itinerary
is planned. I chose a tour, since I've never been to Japan, but I want
to make sure that I use my free time well, so I can see the parts of
the two cities I really am interested in. I'd be very grateful for
some recommendations on the following:

Best way to change currency, find ATM machines? I am a "Credit card"
person, and I know cash is the way to go in Japan.

Tokyo: I have a half day tour which involves Tokyo Tower, Imperial
Palace Plaza, and the Asakusa Kannon Temple. We will end up in the
Nakamise Arcade, and are free for the afternoon. I am trying to figure
out the best way to use the afternoon. I really want to go to a great
shopping district... is this feasible with the time frame? Is it the
Shinjuku or Shibuya region? Will the stores close soon? What's the
best way from Nakamise Aracde to reach this area (also least
expensive).

Kyoto: Is the Kyoto Handicraft Centre really a "tourist trap?" It's
part of our itinerary, but I don't really want to go to a tourist
trap... but if the souvenirs are all right, and the prices are not
outrageous, I don't mind. Also I heard about the "maiko-makeovers" in
Kyoto. Are these tacky, or fun? I think it's kind of a cute idea, but
I don't want to waste money if it's going to be tacky. Is there one
studio that does a really nice job?

Thank you in advance!