Old February 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:31:59 +0200, "Markku Grönroos"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" kirjoitti viestissä
.. .
It certainly doesn't instill much confidence in travelers checks
knowing they have such limited acceptability.

In Thailand this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Perhaps, but my point was that travelers checks are not as universally
acceptable as the companies that issue them like to pretend they are.

Well, I wouldn't say they are all wrong by this claim either. I mean I have
never visited a country in which TCs wouldn't buy local cash (Iran
supposedly is one such country). And actually Thailand has been the target.

If I can find a major international bank in a capital city in Asia
that is reluctant to accept them, that substantially reduces my
confidence in using checks as a reliable way to take travel money.

Easy to believe. However, this applies to plastic too. Fore instance go to a
coffee house in Central Europe (Germany, France and so on) and offer your
card as a source of payment and chances are good that your card is no good.
In Finland incidents like this are pretty rate. However, there are still
some gas pumps in Finland, I suppose, as well as in many other countries in
which only national credit/banking cards will buy gasoline. You also see
that there are immensely online vendors in the USA who accept only US
American (and typically Canadian) cards. I have typically pennies in my
pockets while at home. They are not needed anymore. This is the tendency for
TCs too.