Old April 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
je

Default Mediterranean Ferries

On 6 avr, 10:54, "Terry Richards" wrote:
We are planning a trip from northern France to central/southern
Italy by
motorcycle.

To cut down a bit on the road mileage, we were wondering if there
were any
ferries from southern France to Italy, either direct or with one
connection.
My map doesn't show any but it's 9 years old...

..... but plenty of information on the net :-)

According to
http://www.belvedair.com/fr/transpor...t-Ferries.html
for instance, there is one from Toulon to Civitavecchia - would
allow skipping traffic mess around Genova ... but skips
also the interesting Portovecchio - La Spezia area (leave
highway for some great motorbike roads)

Several ferries via Corsica and/or Sardegnia, but then
imho no way not driving around at least N/NW coast
(basically North of Porto) plus at least one trip over the
mountains. Great roads and scenery, but chances
encountering really crazy drivers :-)
Corsica East coast is better in terms of sandy beaches,
but boaring roads, South several nice small towns
worth a short visit.

For really saving time and mileage by using ferries, then
its for a trip to Sicily (sailing at night). Friends used to
drive by motorbike to Sicily and return by ferry, or the
other way round.

But have you considered train ?
Several trains also carry motorbikes - but the ones I am
aware of are mostly from/to Germany and Austria and
Italy

And some - usually small[est] - companies are offering
bus services for passengers with motorbikes. Service
might be availabe for motorbikers from Northern France
somewhere south (?)

Have a great trip!