Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Fred[_2_]

Default Looking for ideas about a honeymoon safari

Dear Liz,

thank you very much for your advice and wishes !

Best regards

Liz Leyden a écrit :

In message . com
"Fred" wrote:

Depending on the season and on th places, we would like to know what
part of Masai Mara are the best ?

The Migration comes into the Mara reliably in the third week in July,
but usually before that, sometimes in late June. Early on, you want to
be in the south, round about Keekorok Lodge, which although nice
probably isn't small and romantic enough for you. I don't know of any
small camps in that area, but there seem to be new camps springing up
all the time. Siana Springs is nice, but way out of the reserve, and
away from the migration route. But you can do night drives, which are
always hit-or-miss (good in July 06 - last year already!
Come to mid-August and the Migration will be crossing the river, and
you want optimally to be in the area of the Mara Serena.
After that, you'd want to be in the north of the reserve, then follow
the migratory route back southwards until it goes back into Tz late
October/November.
Personally, I wouldn't choose to be in the Mara outside the Migration
- I've posted several times that it happened once by accident, and
there was very little in the way of mammals to be seen: but still
plenty of birds. Other people say they have seen plenty 'out of
season'.

In parallel of our e-talks, we have also consulted some french travel
agencies. One of them made a proposal (which seems very attractive but
also very luxurious and expensive) which is the following : Cottars
1920.
Do you know this place and the services provided there ? Have you hear
about it ?

I'd heard that it's very nice and exclusive, maybe that was just their
advertising, I can't remember, and haven't been there.

Another suggestion (in the north) might be Little Governor's Camp.

Maybe someone can comment on Tortilis Camp in Amboseli: I've heard
mixed reports, but the only really bad one was from a driver/guide
based on a pre-opening event for tour companies - I think they were
unlucky with their food, which clouded their opinion! Amboseli is
pretty much underrated.

If you're going to be in a few places, consider having your own guide
for the full trip. If you stay at a camp, you might have to share the
vehicle with the other guests, whose interests may not be the same as
yours, or if they've never been to Africa before, they might want to
spend longer with the more 'usual' species while you want to birdwatch
or look for less usual species.

Lang may yer lum reek! (Scottish New Year greeting for Frederic and
all other readers)

Slainte mhath (Gaelic for 'Good Health')

Safari njema (goes without saying)

Liz

--
http://www.v-liz.com - Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Galapagos