Old January 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

Default Looking for ideas about a honeymoon safari

In article . com, "Fred"
wrote:

I am also very interested in your advice and comments about South
Africa and especially Kruger park and its neighbourood. I have heard
that the park has several different part (north, south) with also nice
private reserves around like Sabi-Sabi or Sabi-Sand.

Tell me : if you were getting there for two weeks in which place will
you go and stay ?

The park is some 380 km from north to south and covers about 2.5 million
hectares. This ignores the additions of the Zimbabwe Gonarezhou National
Park and the Mozambique Gaza Rezerve. This creates a conservation area of
some 37 million hectares, not including some privately owned game reserves
nearby.

I'm no expert on Kruger. I have only visited a small portion of this vast
area, and most of that was in the south of Kruger. If I were to visit
there for two solid weeks, I would choose somewhere close to the middle of
the park, just to be able to cover a much wider range of areas that I
hadn't seen before. Central-south is also where the largest number of
overnight locations are, and that may or may not be a good thing. It's
convenient there, but it is also popular. I don't know that much about
the area in the far north of the park, other than there are only a few
camps to stay.

Of the guide books on South Africa I have, I think I like Frommer's South
Africa the best in terms of giving out useful information. The writer was
born in Durban, raised in Johannesburg and lives in Cape Town. The
"Kruger and Environs" chapter has 52 pages of text and maps - no space
consuming photos. There are some two pages of other activities (hot air
balooning, rafting etc.) listed near the start of that chapter.
Considering the very large area and the variety of activities, and your
desire to stay in one place, I would probably choose what activities to do
and *then* choose an overnight location convenient to the activities.

I'm quite certain that there are others who participate in this group that
would know more about South Africa in general and Kruger in particular.

- Glenn

--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately