Old January 27th, 2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
freckles

Default Aussie Car Rental with Britz?

wrote in message
ups.com...
A supplementary question to previous postings asking about car rental
recommendations for Australia.

Does anyone have any comments/advice re the use of Britz for car (not
van) rental?

From their website, They seem to have a good variety of automobiles,

and have depots throughout the country.

Their rates appear quite reasonable, include unlimited kilometres, and
include a much lower standard excess (deductible) on 2-wheel drive
vehicles (AU $220), when compared to other car rental agencies I have
checked, including pretty much all the majors. And if I understand
their terms and conditions correctly, additional single vehicle excess
and liability applies only in the Northern Territory and Broome, which
wouldn't affect me on the trip I am contemplating. The lower standard
excess seems to mean that Britz's rates are much more all-inclusive
than most other rental agencies, which have standard excesses on the
order of AU $2500 or more. (And even if the insurance included with a
personal credit card would cover any excess relating to damage to the
rental automobile, such insurance would not cover damage to another
vehicle or to other third party property, meaning that one is more or
less "compelled" to purchase the additional excess reduction insurance
from the car rental agency.)

So, on the surface at least, Britz looks like a good option for a
rental car. But it would be helpful to know if I'm missing anything
here, and what experience others may have had with Britz with respect
to service, rates and charges, reliability or any other issue.

And one further question: does Britz rent out cars directly, or do they
subcontract their car rentals through other agencies? I.e. does the
customer deal directly with Britz when it comes to rental cars,
particularly in Sydney, Hobart, Melbourne and perhaps Adelaide? (I had
previously thought of Britz as just being in the campervan & 4WD
market. I noticed a reference to "Maui" in the fine print in their 2WD
terms and conditions, but don't know what the relationship is between
the two companies.)

Thanks
RbQ

I see a lot of Britz Campervans on the road. They are very popular.