Old June 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
[email protected]

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

On Jun 29, 1:09 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
This matches with what I experienced recently. I was on the ground
aboard a United passenger flight from Brazil to the USA and listening
to the onboard channel 9 ATC to kill time. Except for the United and a
Lufthansa pilot also awaiting clearance to taxi, every other pilot was
talking Portuguese. The controllers spoke perfect ATC English but
switched to Portuguese for the local pilots. I was thinking this could
easily lead to a lack of situational awareness in a large airport like
Sao Paulo's.

You're not supposed to require any communication with anyone other than ATC,
so if you need to hear other pilots on the frequency, there is a problem.

Boy are you clueless...