Old June 29th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

On Jun 29, 11:18 am, K Baum wrote:
On Jun 29, 4:39 am, "El Maximo" wrote:

Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"

What is interesting is that in Mexico and parts of South America, the
controllers speak Spanish with local (or domestic) flights, and
english with international flights.
KB.

That's what I've seen in Mexico. I believe the rule is that ATC must
respond to you in the langauge you use during the call up (either the
native language of the country or English). I've though about using
Spanish but I've never done it. It is nice to speak Spanish because
that's the only way you know if ATC just cleared someone to land in
front of you.

-Robert