Old June 29th, 2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Chinese (and other) pilots unable to speak English pose danger for air travel (CNN)

On Jun 29, 8:00 am, "Maxwell" wrote:
"El Maximo" wrote in message

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
news

If Won Wing Low had been the Father of Aviation, it could have been!

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich
overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in
Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because
you lost the bloody war."

I think we can all rest assured teach the world to speak understandable
English is not a long term problem. Everything will be going to Spanish in a
few years anyway.

Actually in my travels around the world on business I've never found a
country where I couldn't find an English speaker. All you need to do
is find someone under the age of 15. I would guess that 75% of the
world's population under the age of 15 speaks some English (especially
in Asia ,South America, and Europe).

-Robert