Old November 21st, 2009, 12:37 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jeff Hacker

Default Best way to book flights to/in the US?

"Carthell" wrote in message
On Nov 8, 10:00 am, "Joey Hoffnaagle" wrote:
Howdy Campers,

I'm currently planning a visit to Canada/US based to spend Christmas with
friend and New Years at Times Square based on the rough itinerary;
22nd Dec - Sydney to L.A.
23rd Dec - L.A. to Vancouver
29th Dec - Vancouver to New York
4th Jan - New York to Las Vegas
7th Jan - Las Vegas to Sydney (Via L.A.?)

Having never really booked a trip with stop-overs, can anyone advise
whether
I'm likely to be better off trying to book a multi-city flight plan with
the
stopovers - or just buying a normal return or one way ticket to L.A. and
then just organising the other legs (and return flight) separately?
Obviously, it's not exactly cheap season, so I'm trying to keep the price
as
reasonable as possible and I've got a good deal on the table for the first
leg to L.A. that I'd like to book if it's the best way?

Can any seasoned travellers throughout the US recommend whether I should
lock it in and set about looking online for the other legs, or is buying
the
one multi-stop ticket usually more cost-effective. Likewise, what
timeframe
(ie one week before, three months before etc) is generally the best time
book the cheapest flights? Finally, can anyone recommend any decent
websites
for domestic flights throughout US and Canada?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Note: your baggage will add a variable cost to your domestic flights
(except on Southwest,
which makes a point of not charging for baggage); be prepared to pay
at the airport. I have
yet to hear of a ground transport company that charges for baggage.

-d

If the OP books the entire itinerary on one record, including a special fare
(i.e., Star Alliance / OneWorld visit North America, etc.), the entire
journey gets the international baggage allowance which is probably 2 free
bags.