Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Scott Elliot

Default Johannesburg to Kruger - advice sought

Since your time is limited, you might consider flying directly from
Johannesburg to Skukuzu which is right in Kruger. You could probably
arrange to have a tour guide pick you up there.

When we went to Kruger we picked up a car from Avis on arrival at Skukuzu,
but we had pre-booked our accommodation with South Africa National Parks.
We just drove from one camp to the next and made arrangements for night
drives, morning drives, etc. at the office in each camp. The rest of the
time we drove around on our own and saw lots of game.

I had my GPS with me, but no one ever asked about it so I don't know whether
it was legal or not. If this is your first trip to the southern hemisphere,
you can get really disoriented as the sun swings to the north of you instead
of the south. I didn't have a GPS on my first trip and my northern
hemisphere compass wouldn't work. We got pretty turned around in some of
the game parks in Zimbabwe until we got accustomed to the path of the sun.
A GPS would have been handy on that trip. I didn't find it very useful in
Kruger because you can get reasonably good maps and the roads are well
marked.

Scott

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the mid-September I will be in Cape Town for a meeting and then plan
to fly to Johannesburg and see Kruger park. I almost never travel with
a group, but this time I will have only 3 or 4 days and probably will
need a tour. I'd appreciate a recommendation on a tour operator which
does pick up/ drop off at the airport and a particular route. Also, if
I decide to drive myself, how easy will be to find my way and to see
the park? Are GPS units permitted in the SA? This might sound stupid,
but a colleague of mine got into a Russian jail for bringing in a GPS
unit a few years ago.

Thanks
Andy