Old August 2nd, 2006, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Johannesburg to Kruger - advice sought

It's a comfortable 5 hour drive from Johannesburg to Kruger on good
roads. Flying to the park is quicker, and you can hire a car in
Nelspruit or possibly Skukuza.

See http://www.nationalparks.co.za for full details.

GPS is not only completely LEGAL to use here, but also not really
necesssary. Our road system is nowhere near as complex as in Europe,
and a good map is usually all that is needed. However, please bring
your GPS if you feel more comfortable with it.

Personally, I would go with the self-drive option in the park. It
means you can drive at your own pace, you can stop for as long as you
like to watch the animals you like etc.

You've picked the perfect time of the year to go to the park. The
grass will be low, and the weather cooler.

Marc

On 1 Aug 2006 15:30:30 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

In the mid-September I will be in Cape Town for a meeting and then plan
to fly to Johannesburg and see Kruger park. I almost never travel with
a group, but this time I will have only 3 or 4 days and probably will
need a tour. I'd appreciate a recommendation on a tour operator which
does pick up/ drop off at the airport and a particular route. Also, if
I decide to drive myself, how easy will be to find my way and to see
the park? Are GPS units permitted in the SA? This might sound stupid,
but a colleague of mine got into a Russian jail for bringing in a GPS
unit a few years ago.

Thanks
Andy