Old July 25th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Markku Grönroos

Default Singapore - 6 hrs to kill in airport- any bus trips?

Tchiowa kirjoitti:

allowed. If you have checked your baggage all the way through and then
decide to leave the airport you are obligated to inform the airline
and collect your baggage. If you want to leave it at a "left luggage"

I am convinced that this is not the case. Perhaps the airport authority
has questioned you for some reason and then you have reasoned this
misleading concept. I have flown to Changi only once (outbound 1 1/2
weeks before the bedouin attacks in the USA) and never afterwards and
during this one time the airport was the final post to me. So I cannot
tell for sure. However, I don't see ANY reason based on security
concerns, why this restriction had been introduced at Changi. Moreover,
you say that one is ***obliged*** to do this and yet there are some
other chaps around who have said as their most recent experience that
this is not the case. It is easy to believe them. And it is very
difficult to believe you.

I have left the transit area many, many times like this and I have NEVER
informed the check in and I have never been forced to collect the
luggage from the internal stores (in which only a well defined staff
ought to have access). I don't see any reason for this either. And it
should be pretty expensive also to get the luggage exclusively on
conveyors well after all the other luggage of the same flight have
ridden on it.

For instance when I visited Amsterdam City two times as a transit
passenger lately, I was not obliged to do these things and frankly, it
has never occured to me that it could possibly be as you insist. And it
isn't.

So, anyone having enough time and interest to visit Singapore while in
transit, there should be little reason not to do so. My piece of advice
is that those folks don't pay any attention whatsoever to this "set of
new rules" you insist being in force at Changi.

site you must do so outside of transit (because you can't get your
luggage while still inside transit).

This ought to be about trivial.