Old November 28th, 2005, 05:31 AM posted to rec.travel.asia

Default Bangkok

Alfred Molon wrote:
In article . com,
says...

Let me put it this way: The Grand Sheraton is a hotel for people with
good jobs. Nana is a hotel for people with regular jobs. Khao San Road
is for people with bad drugs.

Now you are really writing nonsense. I'm not on drugs

.... OK, *you* are not. But are you going to try to deny that Khao San
Road is the "tourist drug capital" of Bangkok? It's where the dopers
go, is it not? You really don't need to get into much more detail than
that. Dopers don't usually hang out in the best places, do they?

but when in Bangkok I usually stay in or around Khaosan road,
because it is so convenient.

Convenient to what? Shopping, transportation, good restaurants,
airport? No.

And by the way, in Khaosan road there are hotels with clean
rooms, with A/C, private bath etc.

And with that comment you proved my point. If you weren't talking about
Khao San Road there would be no need to mention "clean rooms" or
"private bath". Those are standard in virtually all other tourist areas
of Bangkok. You would never both to mention those things if you were
talking about the Nana or the Grand Sheraton (from above). It's kind of
like saying that the hotel has air to breath. But checking to see if
the rooms are clean and asking if you get a private bath is standard on
Khao San Road.

Judging from what you write one can
only assume that you haven't been in Khaosan road for a while.

Well you're right about that. I went there a couple of times a number
of years ago and was pretty much disgusted by the place. And given all
the places in the world I've been that takes some doing. The only place
I recall worse was the hippie havens of Kathmandu.

Look at the people even now who talk about the place. Most of them want
to talk about how cheap it is. If someone posts a question about where
to get drugs in Bangkok it's guaranteed someone will pop in and say
"Khao San Road". If someone is looking for fake IDs, fake passports,
illegal documentation of any kind they will get sent to Khao San Road.
When you hear someone complaining about police harassment and alleged
passport sweeps or drug searches they are more often than not talking
about Khao San Road.