Old November 9th, 2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DaveM

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100, Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

If you expect foreign visitors to Australia to respect your customs and
standards of behaviour (whether you think they do or not), then you already
know the correct answer to this question.

DaveM