Old June 17th, 2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

Icono Clast wrote:
Troll feeding:

rst wrote:
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just
fly the next day?

If I don't get on my 22:30 flight and the next one is at 07:30, I've
not the time to find a place to stay so I sleep on the airport's
floor. No big deal.

J. Clarke wrote:
Toller wrote:
Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since
money doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room

Is there a motel anywhere near JFK, for example, or Dulles?

Of course there are. Not cheap ones near those two but they are
atypical. BWI has a Motel 6 nearby, so does Newark.

But even if you end up at the Plaza, it's an order of magnitude cheaper
than chartering a jet.

Of course if flights are cancelled due to weather, the charter plane
can't get out either.

Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his travel
budget

A hundred bucks? Perhaps, plus a taxi to and from hotel getting at a
location you have no idea where is or whether there's a room
available.

In 1876 Alexander Graham Bell invented a device called the "telephone".
Perhaps you might want to familiarize yourself with it.

isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

I do. I check everything so I don't have to carry anything thus
giving me the same freedom of movement I have at home.

Including your cell phone and credit cards apparently,.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)