Old June 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Default Why do people sleep in airports? I always see these people on the news...

tim..... wrote:
"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:
In message "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Toller wrote:
"rst" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why not just go to a hotel if your flight is canceled- and just
fly the next day?

Fly the next day hell! Why not charter a jet that day since
money doesn't seem to be an issue for you.

Well, chartering a jet costs a great deal more than a room in a
Motel 6. Anybody who doesn't have a hundred bucks cushion in his
travel budget isn't doing a very good job of contingency planning.

Depending on location, perhaps, $100 won't get you far. Most
near-large-airport hotels charge well over $100, especially on
short notice, plus you need to factor in transportation to/from
the airport as well.

Motel 6 O'Hare is $50.39 a night, tonight. BWI 53.99. LAX 59.39.
If you're stuck in NYC then you may be screwed.

$56.18 for Motel 6, actually.

Cab fare shouldn't be 50 bucks.

$12 each way, plus tip.

Worse, if you only have 5-6 hours until you need to be back at the
airport, you'll spend most of it finding a hotel, traveling,
checking in, etc, whereas a bit of sleep at the airport may well
be more restful then the above.

It takes you 6 hours to plug a couple of web sites and take a taxi
ride?

Good point, don't forget to add $10 for Hotspot access.

So we're coming in right around $100 for what may end up being 4
hours of sleep, between transportation and a bit of grace to assume
the airport may well be a proverbial zoo when you return and
checking in may take longer.

I'm insanely jealous of people who can make a uselful sleep out
of 4-5 hours in a hotel. Even were the hotel free, if I had to be
back at the airport before 6:00 for my flight, I just know that I
would not get out of bed in time, so it is so much more certain
to just stay at the airport and suffer the lost night's sleep.

How often does one get to leave 6 hours after a _cancelled_ flight?

tim

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)