Old October 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Ben

Default What's your favorite Travel Guides?

Honduras: Honduras handbook + Elmer travel guides (definitely in dutch,
dunno about english versions)
Ecuador/peru: le routier (french, LP)
Kenia: Rough guide
New Zealand: friends & LP "tramping in NZ"
India: my wife;-), the LP, Rough Guide & Footprint (LP is organized better,
better maps but generally they're all lacking)
Canada: friends & LP

Basically, i only use the books for the maps and to find out what places NOT
to go to. I'm always amused by those silly warnings about dangers &
annoyances but if you're completely unprepared it's better to have that than
nothing.. However, don't put your common sense in second place to what's
written in those books.. observe the people and talk to them to find out
things (esp. in south america). Speaking the language (however little it may
be) is probably the biggest step to get there.

HTH,

Ben (belgium)

"King" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,
Thanks everyone for your opinion. I know everyone has their favorite
guides. They're probably all good in their own way.
How would you rate,

Fodor's

Frommers

Rough Guide