Old April 27th, 2004, 05:01 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Any advice on where to go in New York?

"Paul0208" wrote in message
om...
Hi

I'm looking to buy a digital camera and a rucksack while I'm in New
York. Can anyone suggest where I could go and buy them? Appreciate
any help that you can give.

For a camera, no question: B&H Photo which, if I recall correctly, is on
10th and 34th. B&H is universally regarded as the most honest and reliable
camera retailer in the business. Their store is like Disneyland --
everything is on display, there are knowledgable sales people to help, you
can get your hands on any equipment you like, and their prices, while not
rock bottom, are low. You'll also enjoy watching your purchase as it
"rides" an elaborate series of conveyor belts to the check-out registers.

Camera retailing in the US is one of the areas that seems to be populated by
more than the average number of sleaze merchants, scam artists and con men.
B&H is a shining star in what otherwise would be a retail cess-pool. I've
bought many thousands of dollars worth of gear from them, and have never had
anything but a great experience.

For point of reference, there are two other camera retailers that are
trustworthy and reliable: Adorama and J&R Music World. I've only bought
mail-order from Adorama, so I'm not sure were in NY they're located. J&R
sells computers and electronics as well as cameras (I bought my photo
printer from them, among other things). They're located on Park Row near
City Hall in downtown Manhattan. They're also just a stone's throw from
Ground Zero, the site of the former World Trade Centers.

Any of these retailers will provide you with honest, ethical and reliable
service at good prices.