Old August 27th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Chris

In article ,
says...
Thanks Chris, much appreciated.

Regards

Chris wrote in message e...
Try:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...93475472/sr=1-
6/ref=sr_1_8_6/026-8424942-9390006

And the Royston ellis guide with good maps:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...93475472/sr=1-
9/ref=sr_1_8_9/026-8424942-9390006

Buses don't even think about it!

Rent a car for your holiday. It MUST have A/C. Use one of the nationals
on the net before you go. It's cheaper. Take two copies of your agreement
with you showing the exact amount you will pay inc. CDW, Insurance etc.
Give one to the desk when you collect your car and keep one to show when
you drop off. Otherwise things have a habit of being "added on" at the
last minute !!!! Some companies will deliver & collect from your
hotel/resort. Check the charge for this!

Driving in Mauritius is easy just avoid Port Louis in the rush hour. Park
your car in proper car parks (with attendants) in major towns as
otherwise your radio might disappear!

Pip pip

Kalevi Nyman Has obviously had better luck with the buses than I have!
You can get to Gran Baie & Port Louis o.k. by bus but it get really
tricky if you need to get around smaller areas (in the south & east) with
lots of changes at local bus stations.
Renting a taxi for a day or two is also a possibility but get away from
the hotel taxi-rank to do it as they are astonishingly expensive. Go to
the nearest town and find a taxi driver you like and check him (and car)
out with a small trip, say back to your hotel/bungalow from the
supermarket for example. If he thinks he is Michael Shumaker............
I must admit we just rent a car on the "black-market" for the whole time
we are there. We do tend to stay off the beaten track though.

Have a nice time exploring the island!

Pip pip
--
Chris Notton
Replace "nospam" with my surname to reply by email