Old March 26th, 2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.sport.tennis,rec.travel.australia+nz,aus.tv,aus.general
DavidW

Default I want to travel to Australia, so I have a question to Whisper (or any Australian here)

Edward McArdle wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 12:29:24 GMT, Superdave
wrote:

It's my favorite place in Australia but
for Surfers Paradise. I hear that Adelaide is terrific but I've not
been there yet.

And it is pronounced strangely by the locals, more or less Fr'mantle.

Cairns in Queensland is another odd one, pronounced Cans.

Though with some resistance elsewhere. I usually respect local pronunciations of
place names and use them myself, but I simply refuse in that case. Silly people.