Old March 5th, 2006, 04:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Touring in the US

Daisy wrote:

I am quite surprised that I cannot get a 2 or 3-day tour from San
Francisco to Seattle. But I can't. I've tried everything.
Is there something wrong with this sort of trip that doesn't attract
tourists? Is the journey too long? Is the scenery that awful?

The best part of the area between the SF Bay area and Seattle is along
the Pacific Coast. This is difficult terrain and there are many areas
where there is only limited auto road access. Most American tourists
do this area by auto, and the scenery is fabulous.

My husband and I are looking to travel from San Francisco to Seattle
and hopefully see interesting scenes etc. en route. Not to be it
seems. There is a train that travels overnight but from all the
reports I have read this train is often very late, delayed, has no
really good eating facilities on board unless you have a sleeping car,
and so on. Not for us then.

The US developed highways to link off-the-beaten-track areas, not rail
lines. Rail service, and public transportation in general, in the US
is quite bad -- compared to, say, Europe.

What do you American travel people suggest? Should we simply fly
from S.F. to Seattle? We had planned going by rail in comfort from
San Francisco to Seattle by train within a civilized timeframe. We
seem to be able to do this in Europe without any problems.

Most foreign tourists rent vehicles to tour this area. Seasonal
considerations are highly advised, however. During most of the year
(except for the summer months) weather and road conditions can be
quite bad along the coast. And during the summer months it is crowded.

Is there a bit problem with Amtrack? Is there likewise a big problem
with tour operators in the PNW? Are we being picky?

Private vehicles are the preferred mode of travel here, sorry.

We are from New Zealand where there are anything from 3-day to 21-day
tours available for any type of tour.

We will be touring New Zealand in a few months in a rented car. Just
as there are no rail lines or roads along the southwest coast of the
South Island (Fiordland NP area south of Milford Sound), there are no
such links in many places on the US Pacific Coast.

Same reason.

Caveat