Old February 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

Default best way to minimize jetlag from west coast to east coast

"techman41973" wrote in message
I fly often between the west coast and east coast. Returning home to
California I have no Jetlag symptoms - I just wake up earlier in the
morning each day after I get home.
But when traveling in the other direction (from California to New
York), I suffer major jetlag.
Please share your tips (that work) on minimizing jetlag (crossing 3
time zones from West to East coast).
Thanks

In 50 years of flying including one RTW trip eastabout and one westabout and
a longest non-stop flight of 13 hours I'm not sure there is a single answer.
Eat light foods, keep well hydrated, wear comfortable loose fitting clothes,
no alcohol and preferably no tea or coffee. If you can travel in a
business class that offers a lie-flat seat then do so. Adjust your eating
routine to the new time zone before departure. On an eastbound red-eye if
they offer food after take off, decline, go straight to sleep and take
breakfast when offered. This usually means making slight changes to your
eating routine during the day of departure to have a meal about 10 hours
before when you expect breakfast. Don't overschedule on the day of
arrival, in fact if you can fly a day early, do it.