Old August 21st, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Pete Loud

Default Volcano climbing in indonesia

Hi,

It's probably easiest to sort out once there. Check out the map on my website.
www.peteloud.co.uk/indonesia/lombok.html
Take a bus or minibus up to Ancak then a minibus to Senaru and arrange it there. There will be guys hanging around who want to be
your guide. I think that there is a time in the year when lots of the locals have a walk to the lake so it shouldn't be too
difficult to find a guide who is not too expensive. What might be best is to meet up with another couple of tourist guys and go up
without a guide.

What is it you want to do? Do you want to climb to the summit of Rinjani? A more interesting walk is to the lake in the caldera. Or
a walk just up to the crater rim is pretty good. I reckon the view from the crate rim is the best panorama I saw in Indonesia.

There may a route to the summit from the east but I haven't tried that.

I turned up in Senaru just after New Year, several years ago, I had a night in Senaru then after breakfast I decided to rent a
sleeping bag from the losmen then walked up to the crater rim alone. I didn't bother with a guide, I just followed the path. I found
a shelter a little below the rim so spent the night there then walked down the next day. The walk up wasn't so bad, the walk down
was hard on the knees. By the time I got back my legs felt as if they were made of rubber. I had very good weather, but I suspect
that I was lucky. In October there may be rain.

I made a mistake with water. I miscalculated how much drinking water I needed and didn't take enough. If I was doing it again I'd
take a pan and boil water from the couple of very small springs near the path.

I suspect that the walk to the lake is the best walk, although the path down is very steep and can be a bit dangerous.

Cheers,

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia etc. etc.
www.peteloud.co.uk/

"G" wrote in message ...
i am currently looking at various trekking companies to make a trip up mount
rinjani ideally or if need be perhaps another volcano in indonesia. does
anyone here know of a way to sign up other ppl that might be making the trek
there during the same time im going (oct06)? the reason i ask is most
agencies are almost 2x the rate for a single person which is understandable
but if i can avoid it with a partner it would be helpful.

also can anyone recommended an agency that they have tried trekking? i went
climbing mt. kilimanjaro last year and only after i got there did i realise
it would have been cheaper and easier to just buy a package locally instead
of getting a higher rate by booking abroad.

thanks