Old December 13th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Liz

In message . com
wrote:

Honestly, I cannot think of a worse way to see Africa.

You already told us you don't have much understanding - now you lack
imagination too!
I hate to get personal like this, but you have surely noticed in your life
that everybody's different!

I can think of plenty of ways which would be 'worse for me': for example
haven't you ever seen overlanders?
But people often post to this group asking about overlanding trips, and
other people post back enthusiastically. It works for them. or more likely,
it works for their budget.

I personally would rather pull my hair out than climb Kili or do rough
camping with chores, but plenty of people enjoy doing these things, and post
here with advice when others ask about them.

Your way may well be best for you (though you can't really know, since you
haven't tried the other ways), which is fine.

You can learn lots about Africa, or at least the country you're in, even in
a minibus, by talking to the driver/guide and asking questions: even when I
was on the Kuoni trip, the pre-trip documentation encouraged us to talk to
the guide about wildlife and culture. You can talk to the lodge/camp staff
when it's quiet, you can talk to the naturalist on walks or in the bar
afterwards.

It's even worse when people promote these kinds of trips on these
boards. What are their motives?

Your newsreader must be getting posts I'm not getting.
I haven't seen people promoting any trips here recently.
Apart from a few in the past from SA and Morocco in particular, there's very
little 'trip promotion' he it's against the group charter, and is
unwelcome.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz now at