Old November 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.australia+nz,rec.sport.rugby.union
Keith Anderson

Default A-Z of English words with surprising origins

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:20:58 +0100, "Jochen Kriegerowski"
wrote:

schrieb

The sausage dogs my aunt had couldn't tackle a large mouse, let alone
a badger.

Don't underestimate the courage of those "sausages" - which used to
be bigger than most of today's breeds.

But they weren't supposed to tackle badgers, but only to drive them
out of their burrows - hence the short legs!

Jochen

Reminds me of the two old ladies discussing their dogs.

"I've got two dachshunds", says one of them, "A dog and a bitch."

"Oh!", says the other, "What happens when the bitch is on heat?"

"Simple - I put her upstairs."

"But how does THAT stop the dog getting at the bitch?"

"Even simpler - have you ever seen a dachshund trying to get upstairs
with a hard-on?"

(I'll get me coat :-))

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen