Old October 20th, 2011, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Panawe

Default Road trip USA Nat'l parks

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 22:08:57 +0100, Graham Harrison wrote:

Thanks, all grist to the mill.
I'm using the Trip Advisor forum as well as this place seems a tad
quiet.

Someone in there has suggested this...

1 BHX SFO
2 San Francisco San Francisco Alcatraz 3 San Francisco Monterey (121)
PCH
4 Monterey Monterey Whale cruise
5 Monterey Cambria (103) PCH
6 Cambria Furnace Creek (382) Travel 7 Furnace Creek Lone Pine (106)
Death Valley 8 Lone Pine Lee Vining (122) Mono Lake & Bodie State Park
9 Lee Vining El Portal (76) Yosemite 10 El Portal El Portal Yosemite
11 El Portal Lake Tahoe (206) Travel via Hwy 49 & 88 12 Lake Tahoe
Lassen (150) Travel

13 Lassen Crescent City (330) Travel 14 Crescent City Fort Bragg
(216) PCH via Hwy 101 to Hwy 1
15 Fort Bragg San Francisco (170) PCH via Hwy 101 to Hwy 1
16 San Francisco San Francisco Shopping 17 SFO BHX

Not happy about the two long travelling days but I reckon to have a day
in hand. Is there a worthwhile 2-day journey from Cambria to Furnace
Creek?

Cheers,

In the end the decision has to be yours. I reckon Cambria to Furnace
Creek is going to be quite a day. Why not see if there's somewhere
(Lone Pine, spend 2 nights there) before you get to Furnace Creek and
then make a slightly longer day in Death Valley? As for Lassen to
Crescent City you can save a lot of driving by simply going straight for
the coast, crossing I5 at Redding and then driving up the coast. Yes,
you have to come back the same way next day but I'm not sure that's a
bad thing. Firstly you get different views under different lighting
conditions and, if you spot somewhere on the way up, you don't HAVE to
stop then, you can mark it for the next day.

There's not much accommodation in Lassen itself from memory. I seem to
remember (we were coming from the north) stopping in Redding and then
doing Lassen as a day trip and spending the next night in Chico (but
Chico was dictated partly because of the university bookshop there).

Thanks.

Still roughing it out, what do you think of this then?

Day From To Miles Sights Route
1 BHX SFO
2 San Francisco San Francisco Alcatraz
3 San Francisco Monterey (121) PCH
4 Monterey Monterey Whale cruise
5 Monterey Cambria (103) PCH
6 Cambria Lone Pine (303) Travel
7 Lone Pine Lone Pine 0 Death Valley
8 Lone Pine Lee Vining (122) Mono Lake & Bodie State
Park
9 Lee Vining El Portal (76) Yosemite
10 El Portal El Portal Yosemite
11 El Portal Lake Tahoe (206) Travel via Hwy 49 & 88
12 Lake Tahoe Redding (230) Travel
13 Redding Eureka (147) Redwood NP Via I5
14 Eureka Fort Bragg (133) Redwood NP & Ferndale PCH via
Hwy 101 to Hwy 1
15 Fort Bragg San Francisco (170) PCH via Hwy 101
to Hwy 1
16 San Francisco San Francisco Shopping
17 SFO BHX

It's not finished because I want to do Sequoia and Kings Canyon

Phil

--
Panawe