Old January 12th, 2009, 06:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air
sharx35

Default Luggage advice/info sought

"singlemalt" wrote in message
news

"AKT" wrote in message
My cheaper luggage pieces are coming to the end of their natural lives,
while good quality ones are being rendered out of date because they are
28"-29" meant for the 70 LB era and get easily overloaded in the new 50
LB age. I am therefore in the market for a couple of 26" pieces. Any
recommendations would be appreciated.

My eternal favorite is the Briggs Riley line. However, one doesn't buy
luggage everyday and I realize that the landscape might have changed
during the years I wasn't paying attention.

Some specifics:

Right now I can get discontinued BR 26" for $240---non-expanding kind,
but in light of my concern about weight I am not sure if I want
expandability.

I like Boyt too, but can't spot a decent sale. Tumi and Victorinox NXT
are always nice but too pricey.

Delsey Helium Pro is $175, Helium Breeze $110. But Delsey has so many
lines---fusion, breeze, 250GX or some such, Pro, Pilot, Elite,
Signature!---and I don't know where each stands.

Your experience and advice will be greatly appreciated.

We have a shoe repair outfit here in Austin that sells BR. I bought a
carry on piece for about half price. I have enjoyed it and when I buy new
luggage, which will be soon, more than likely, it will be BR. The weight
does concern me, but the selling point, at least according the salesguy,
is that is has a lifetime warranty. FWIW.

I find the luggage with wheels to be VERY pretentious. It says, "Look at me!
I fly all the time! I have lots of FF points!"