Old June 6th, 2015, 04:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default Manual or Automatic Rental in Countries that Drive on the Wrong (Left) Side of the Road

On 2015-06-04 07:46:03 +0000, sms said:

We're going to Ireland soon and the rental cars with an automatic are
much more expensive. I have no problem driving a stick shift but I
wonder if combining shifting with the left hand and driving on the
left, in an unfamiliar country, is too much at once. Last time I drove
a stick shift in a country that drives on the left was in Thailand, but
there they really drive in the middle because the road surface is only
good in the middle.

I found it to be no problem at all. I too thought it would be, but got
used to it quickly.

The greatest challenge comes from a lack of instinct of the extent of
the left side of the car. Be careful to not turn left too sharply.
The problem is greatest on the narrow countryside lanes, or when
passing. Take it slow and your intuition will improve with time.

I furthermore suggest renting, or "hiring", a car from the airport.
Airports tend to be outside the populated areas with
interstate/motorway -type roads, which are the best for getting a feel
for the change in driving position.

While you have a car, I recommend going out-and-back of the penninsulas
at the southwest of Ireland. Beara was my favorite, with its Healy
Pass being spectacular.

Have a lot of fun!

--
Dan Stephenson