Old September 1st, 2004, 01:24 AM
SPotter614

Why would a blind person go on a cruise?

My father is legally blind and has been on three cruises. He'll probably go on
more.

Actually, for a visually impaired person cruising has some real advantages.
Since blind people can't see their surroundings, staying in a different hotel
room every night and going to a new restaurant for every meal can be very
confusing and disorienting. Feeling confused and overwhelmed isn't a great way
to enjoy a vacation.

My father gets to unpack once, and only needs to learn his way around one hotel
room. And since dinner is at the same table every night with a wait team that
gets to know him, mealtimes are a real pleasure.

My parents love their balcony. Even tho my dad can't see much, he can feel the
sun on his skin, smell the sea, and enjoy the breeze.

Why would a blind person go on a cruise? For the exact same reasons everyone
else does.

Susan in Maine