Old March 17th, 2006, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Vic Falls

"Dave Patterson" wrote in message
Anyone have any recent experience on the Zimbabwe side?

Anyone have any positive/negative feelings about going
to Zambia rather than Zimbabwe?

Do you mean in light of 'recent' problems in Zimbabwe, or in general?
I think you are an experienced "African hand" so what I have to say may well
be 'grandmothers and eggs'!
I havent been to the Falls for some years; the first time in the 80s we saw
it from both sides - staying in Livingtone and at the Vic Falls Hotel. A bit
later we saw it from Zimbabwe side only (also when the flow was a lot
less!). I thought the views were better from the Zambian side, although if
you havent seen them before, seeing both must be the 'best' option. On our
first trip, the Zambian tourist trade was almost non-existent whereas
Zimbabwe's was thriving; Zambia was also very poor compared to Zim. now of
course the situation is reversed - Zambia's tourist industry seems to be
going from strength to strength and there are several 'high class' hotels in
Livingstone. When we went, there only seemed to be one hotel near the Falls,
which we stayed in.
I'd go back to Zambia like a shot; last time we went we didnt go to the
Falls at all - if we did decide to include them, I'd probably want to stay
at somewhere like Tongabezi.

--
Rita Daggett