Old February 14th, 2004, 07:24 AM
Rapid T. Rabbit

Default JFK Airtrain: Good News, Bad News, Good News and Bad News

(Arnold Reinhold) wrote in message . com...

Howard Beach

Howard Beach is where the Airtrain connects with the subway A train.
Again there are banks of MetroCard machines. Here, the logical choice
for almost all travelers (the exceptions are people who live in or are
visiting the small Howard Beach community) is $7 JFK + Subway. To get
to the subway, you have to go through two sets of ticket gates about
20 feet apart, one to leave the airport and one to enter the subway.
The subway station is an open platform, but the station designers
provided a window at the enclosed upper level from which you can see
the train approaching.

As I posted awhile back, when I tried out the Airtain and negotiated the
Howard Beach transfer, I swiped my Pay-Per-Ride Metrocard once to reach
the A train and had $7 deducted at once, not being given the opportunity
to switch to my Unlimited Metrocard to pay my subway fare. A reply to my
post back then had indicated that there was another set of turnstiles
that I had missed which would have allowed me to use both cards separately.

o The A trains that service the Howard Beach Station should have some
clear airport marking. I suspect the a train fleet is still equipped
with the old "Train to the Plane" signs. It might make sense to use
them again.

I have noticed that since Airtrain service began, the route indicator
signs on those affected A trains have been altered. On both the R-38
subway cars with roll signs and the R-44 with LCD signs, the destination
now reads "Far Rockaway via JFK Airport".

Rapid T. Rabbit
The "T" stands for Transit.