Old January 7th, 2007, 01:19 AM posted to alt.travel,houston.general,rec.sport.football.college,rec.sport.soccer,rec.travel.usa-canada
Bill in Schenectady

Default [OT] Best and Worst American Cities according to Europeans

"striker" wrote in message
. ..
Europeans, particularly Italians and French, besides living in two of the
most beautiful countries in the world, are known for their good taste when
it comes to quality of life (food, clothes, cars, night life, weather,
women, etc). According to a recent poll these are the impressions of
Europeans about American cities.

5 Best (the least American cities):

Miami
San Diego
NYC
San Francisco
Boston

5 Worst (typical American cities):

Houston
Dallas
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Cleveland

Most Overrated (these cities are not necessarily bad, just plain overrated
by Americans who have no standards):

New Orleans
Austin
Los Angeles
Chicago
Las Vegas

Do Americans agree?

Since I've never been to Miami, I'll withhold judgment. However, I've
always thought it was rather crime ridden. San Diego gets a strong pass for
its climate, but I haven't been there in 30 years.

However, I think Pittsburgh and Chicago get a bum rap here. Pittsburgh is a
nice smaller major city with active neighborhoods. Chicago strikes me as
sort of Manhattan light: it has the lights, the buildings, the traffic, but
not quite the edge. I've liked it the three times that I've been there.

Agree about NYC, Boston and SF. All are unique cities worth visiting. Also
each of these do not require a car to get around.

I hate Las Vegas but that's a personal thing. I just don't go for phony
glitz, especially when I live 3 hours from NYC which has real glitz.