Old July 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM posted to alt.travel.canada,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.australia+nz,alt.travel.uk.air
Buddenbrooks

Default Free accomodation in Turkey, just say 'Israel'

"DevilsPGD" wrote in message
In message "Buddenbrooks"
was claimed to have wrote:

At one time you could not visit Turkey from Greece without problems.
They
would confiscate your return air-ticket
so you had to buy a single ticket home at a higher rate.

I've lived most of my life in the eTicket world, but even prior to that,
didn't airlines replace lost/stolen tickets in some fashion?

It would appear not. Normal air tickets were a cheque book like book with
pull out vouchers, the vouchers were part of the payment loop from the
travel agents.
At the very least you would have to wait for the voucher to expire to
reclaim a stolen one. If the Greek authorities pushed the voucher through
the system marked revoked then I guess the airline would not refund it.

When I was going to Greece it was a different world of air traffic, Cheap
air tickets could only be sold as part of a package with accommodation. The
air ticket would come with an accommodation voucher and a warning that the
accommodation was supplied to comply with Greek law and was below a standard
that the traveler would find acceptable.