Old November 9th, 2011, 12:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Return cheaper than a single??? LON-NYC

paulfoel wrote:

one-way to go out on Wednesday = £700.

The price of a return going on Wednesday (same flight) and
returning Sunday is £350 !!!! Dont understand.

I didn't think that airlines still did that, but it was somewhat common
in the past that the cost of a return ticket was cheaper than a one-way
ticket.

Could I book the return, and my free miles flight, use the outward
then just not use the return I paid for?

I'm not sure how your miles come into play here, but you can always
abandon the return flight of a round-trip and not suffer any
consequences from the airline.

Or would Continental suspect something was up here and disallow it?

How can they disallow it?

You buy a 2-way return ticket knowing full well that you don't intend to
use the return. They don't know that. You fly the out-bound leg as
scheduled and you're done. You abandon the return leg and Continental
(or rather, Air Canada) has an empty seat they can give to a stand-by
customer.