Old February 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.air
Fly Guy

Default Beverages purchased airside banned from carry-on?

" wrote:

Are there any rules that say drinks purchased airside cannot be
brought on board?

Normally, anything bought airside can be brought on a plane.

Only if there is additional screening at the gate could they even be in
a position to detect objects or materials that they don't want you to
take on the plane.

Was there such screening (like a metal-detection arch and x-ray scanner
for hand luggage) located right at the gate?

Should passengers generally be aware of this prohibition?

If you are airside and as you walk around between the gates and the
retail stores, and you notice there is screening equipments located at
the gates (and the gate areas themselves are partitioned off as sealed
rooms) then I'd be very suspicious as to what I could buy in the airside
area and be able to carry with me to the plane.

I don't travel to these wierd-ass places in asia to know what their
airside facilities and proceedures look like.

Or does this only apply to nonalcoholic beverages purchased from
the airside vendors, while the clearly flammable liquors and performs
purchased from the duty-free shops are allowed?

My guess is that they're implimenting a general "liquids" ban at the
gate, which makes no distinction between a glass bottle of liquor vs a
plastic bottle of water/juice/soda.

bill wrote:

There are in India.

You were talking about India weren't you?

He was talking about his experience at ICN - Incheon (south korea).

The OP (jfeng) should be more clear as to exactly what he experienced.

Normally, duty free is brought to the jetway and is allowed to be
carried onto the plane in such circumstances.

The way I read the story, it sounds like people had their carry-on
searched (at the gate? On the jetway?) while duty free was delivered to
them at the jetway in the normal fashion and they were allowed to bring
this on the plane.

The OP was wondering why a non-duty-free liquid beverage (presumably
non-alcoholic and therefore "non-hazardous") would be taken from them,
while the duty-free alcohol (possibly hazardous?) was allowed on-board.

My answer would be that consumable alcohol is not considered dangerous
and there is no distinction being made on that basis in this case.

The distinction being made is that duty free alcohol is more
"controlled" within the airside area, and is not in the possession of
the traveller until he's at the jetway.

That, plus there'd be a lot of really ****ed-off people if their duty
free was confiscated at the gate.

All these issues aside, I say that this whole ban on liquids is a joke
and always has been.

Just another layer of security-theater and additional aggrivation and
inconveinence for the flying public.