Old September 5th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Peter L

"Graham Harrison" wrote in message
I may have to travel from London to Auckland on about 24th September.

I'll
probably be using a RTW ticket so I can break my journey if I choose to.
I've been to the Bay Area on many occasions, almost always staying in

Foster
City (relations). I like the whole of the Bay Area. I am less of a fan
of Los Angeles.

However, there are only 3 flights a week from SFO to AKL, service from LAX
is much more frequent so I may not have a choice given that some flights

are
already full in the class I will be booking. If I do stopover I'll come
from London on one of the earlier flights which should put me on the west
coast early afternoon. The flights to AKL go in the evening from both
cities so I'll have about 30 hours on the ground.

I looked at hotels in downtown San Francisco and a number of them are
already full. The remainder are often over $200. Now, I know that's

not
unheard of but I kind of get the impression something might be happening
downtown about then. "Airport" hotels seem to have space at just under
$100 and one Comfort Suite I looked at in Millbrae was close to the BART

so
I can go downtown if I want but it would have been nice to stay downtown

for
once. Alternatively I could remain on the peninsular which would allow

me
to have dinner at my favourite restaurant but then I'd probably need a

car.

If I went to LAX instead I might try and get to Traveltown in Griffith

Park
and then I would need a car and I'd probably like to stay in that part of
the city simply because of when the museum is open.

I looked at other cities as possible stops but only SFO and LAX have non
stop service from both London and Auckland. Anywhere else requires at
least one more change of plane and extended travel time and this is a long
enough flight anyway.

So, if it was you, which city would you stop in and why and where would

you
stay?

Well, I like SF better than LA, although I don't mind LA either. So if the
choice is between the two, SF by a nose.