Old September 5th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Hatunen

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 20:00:12 +0000 (UTC), "Graham Harrison"
wrote:

I may have to travel from London to Auckland on about 24th September. I'll
probably be using a RTW ticket so I can break my journey if I choose to.
I've been to the Bay Area on many occasions, almost always staying in Foster
City (relations). I like the whole of the Bay Area. I am less of a fan
of Los Angeles.

However, there are only 3 flights a week from SFO to AKL, service from LAX
is much more frequent so I may not have a choice given that some flights are
already full in the class I will be booking. If I do stopover I'll come
from London on one of the earlier flights which should put me on the west
coast early afternoon. The flights to AKL go in the evening from both
cities so I'll have about 30 hours on the ground.

I looked at hotels in downtown San Francisco and a number of them are
already full. The remainder are often over $200. Now, I know that's not
unheard of but I kind of get the impression something might be happening
downtown about then. "Airport" hotels seem to have space at just under
$100 and one Comfort Suite I looked at in Millbrae was close to the BART so
I can go downtown if I want but it would have been nice to stay downtown for
once. Alternatively I could remain on the peninsular which would allow me
to have dinner at my favourite restaurant but then I'd probably need a car.

Theer is now BART service from SFO, and from Millbrae and San
Bruno, that can whisk you into downtown SF in a very short time.
I suggest you stay at a hotel near SFO and go into SF for the
evening.