Old November 13th, 2003, 01:20 PM
me

Default Encounters with the TSA

Sleepy Raccoon wrote in message ...
me wrote:
If you bag went to the wrong city, it gets worse. They will
send it BACK to the city OF ORIGIN. Not the city where it got
misdirected, but where you started.

Wrong. Once the bag is declared unclaimed, it is sent to the baggage dept,
declared misrouted. They enter its tag number into the computer as well a its
current location, and will then plot the "best course" for your luggage to get
to its intended destination.

If your bag was sent from LAX to LHR instead of CDG, when it gets to London,
they will see it should have gone to Paris and will put in on the next flight
from Lodon to Paris. It will not go back to Los Angeles.

Now, if it were sent from LAX to Podunk instead of Paris, it is likely it will
have to fly through LAX to get to Paris from Pudunk if Podunk has only
sertvice from LAX.

International, I'm sure, is handled quite differently for a variety
of reasons. But I know for a fact that one particular bag was handled
domestically much as I described.

or hotel. However, as shocking as this may seem, it's not exactly a
high priority for them. It will come off the plane, and go around
in circles on the belt for about 20-40 minutes first.

Nop. Lost luggage is tagged with a special sticker that baggage handlers
recognize. They do not put it on luggage belt, they bring it to baggage office directly.

Not in my experience. Everytime my bag was delayed and I hung around
to collect it later (or returned). It ALWAYS came out on the belt.
I watched as other bags were retrieved and piled up for dispersal.

[snip]
At the time the luggage is found, the handlers at that airport will likely not
have access to the information you provided when you declared the luggage "lost".

Yup. That's sorta the larger point. You can talk their ear off of the
person at luggage claim, but only so much of that info is going to
get to the person who is actually going to reroute your bag.

[snip]
What this is important is when you are on a multi-leg trip. If you instruct
your airline to deliver your luggage in a different city because you'll be
there the next day, the folks who find your luggage won't know and will only
see the original tag. And it is only once it gets within the airline's
jurisdiction that there is even a small chance it might be intercepted and
luggage tags changed to reflect the new city. This depends on whether
recovered bags get sent to baggage office in each connecting city so their
status can be updated, or whether the baggage flows transparently in the
"system" until it recahes its destination where its tag results in it being
sent to baggage office instead of luggage belt.

Multi leg is a nightmare because of the "lag" in the system. By the
time your bag gets to anyone who realizes that the original destination
is no longer the current desired destination, you could easily
be home.