Old June 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM
waggg

On 25 Jun 2005 23:28:07 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

waggg wrote:
On 25 Jun 2005 08:43:31 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

You mean to a once great wine that has since turned to vinegar, don't
you? I've been to Paris at least 50 times. The first half dozen were
interesting. Beautiful architecture and some interesting shops. Get
past the buildings and there just isn't anything left worth bothering
with.

If you're going to Europe make it London, Budapest, Rome, Amsterdam or
take a ferry down to Tangiers and over to Fez.

Paris just isn't worth the effort.

I would be courious what makes London, Budapest, Rome, Amsterdam or Morocco
so much better. What are you searching in your trips ?

Culture. People. The Medina in Fez is "an adventure". You meet people
with a dramatically different lifestyle and view of the world.
Friendly, interesting people. Paris clearly used to be like that. But
the bitterness of the French about everything in the world around them,
particularly if you're English speaking, is palpable. They believe that
they were once Masters of the World and they are bitter because they
believe that England, US, Germany, basically everyone else is depriving
them of their rightful place in the world. And it shows in their
behavior.

..... huh ? ... hmm well if you say so.
I think you're wrong.

Get outside of Paris and you don't see that. But in Paris it dominates.

You don't see that elsewhere in France. You don't see that in Berlin or
Amsterdam or O Porto or Rome or London or .......

My job used to require that I go through Paris once a month. The first
several times I made sure that I laid over in Paris for at least as
week. Got disgusted with the place. Now I arrange to lay over in
Bangkok or London or Perth or somewhere enjoyable.

ok.